Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Patience Myth


What's the first thing any homeschooling mom hears from anyone who doesn't homeschool? Let's all say it together now, "You must have so much patience!" Well, I am here to put this myth to rest having had one of those days where my patience was scraped off the floor at the end of the day with a gazillion holes shot clean through....

Honestly, I think that statement is just another way to say, "Oh yeah, some people are called to that homeschooling thing and I'm so glad it's not ME!" In other words, one who considers herself lacking in patience is obviously not called to homeschool... Hmmm, let's consider this for a moment using, say, well, me as a test case. Now my mother (if she ever gets a chance to read this) will be the first to attest that I have never been a stellar example of one who excercises the virtue of patience. In fact, not too long ago, my mother and I shared a meaningful look as she witnessed someone gushing about my assumed patience level. It was obviously news to her.

In my book, the bottom line is that everyone is called to do something really amazingly radical. We are all either walking into that call or running screaming from it (or sitting around wringing our hands nervously and wondering if we will ever figure out exactly what that call is..but more on that some other day...). For me the call happens to be to marry a perfectly normal computer geek who later becomes a priest, adopt as many special needs kids as we can currently fit into our house and then let God have His way with my womb as well. All the while homeschooling whichever ones of those little people happen to be of school age at any given day. Does it take patience to have 8 children ages 10 and under? Well, yes...Does it take patience to homeschool children who can't remember how to add 2+2 after successfully doing it 10 times just a minute before? Well, yes...Does it take patience to teach phonics to the same child for the 5th (or 6th - I've lost count) year in a row? Yes! Yes! And does it take patience to do all this while chasing about two toddlers who have a penchant for destruction of people and property? Most certainly yes!! And how about at the end of that day when the reinforcements call to say that they won't be home from his tent-making job that night due to an emergency situation within the church? Oh baby, yes! But wait a minute, this is my call...and I do so lack patience. Just what was God thinking?! How can that be?

In truth, I do have a lot of patience - probably a big boat-load of it - now - but I sincerely have not always and there is plenty more (just ask my Mom) room for improvement. I see patience as one of those on-the-job training things. You don't have to be good at it to start the job but you sure better get better at it as time goes on or you just aren't going to make it for very long. It's sink or swim.

No comments: