Monday, October 17, 2005

A Delayed Adventure, a Pear Seed and the Unfortunate Plight of a Deer


After a very disappointing morning we decided on an impromptu trip to Muffy's house. We were supposed to view the first day's construction on the house but there was no action to be had so we abandoned that plan and met Muffy, Great and Henry at the new Wegman's. On our way out of the parking lot, I loaded the kids in the van and Mom and Great and Henry took off across the parking lot towards their new van (which, it is important to note here, I have YET TO SEE and so I have NO IDEA what it LOOKS LIKE!!). Well, the kids and I arrived at Muffy's house about an hour before Muff and after about 45 minutes Dad decided to go hunting for them. Turns out they were stranded on the side of the road with no gas in said new van and we had gone right on by. For the record, I also need to say I AM SOOO SORRY!! Turned out to be a great visit, though since the boys got to play both soccer and HeroScape w/their cousin - what more could they ask for?

Of course the question came up whether/when there would be more children to come. Now, folks should know better than to ask that question of us for anything other than entertainment purposes because we are firmly committed to the answer no matter how absurd it seems to others. There will be more children - more adopted, more homemade, lots more! I was just discussing this subject with a friend on the phone the other day. In the midst of our going back and forth about God's plan for our family as it relates to adding more space to the house, daughter #3 approached me with a pear seed in her hand. She wanted to plant it right away and she wanted to plant it in, I don't know, a soda cap or something... I absently wandered from my phone conversation long enough to say to her with some annoyance, "That's going to grow into a tree and you need to find a bigger pot for it." Hmmmm....that's really the crux of the matter, isn't it? Our family is a growing tree and we are being transplated into a bigger pot.

The beltway got too busy on the way home so we decided to detour onto the back roads. Son #1 and I watched in stunned silence as a deer came bounding out of the brush, ran in front of the car in front of us, bounced off the car's hood and then did a macabre twisting turning dance through the air, bounced off the pavement still twisting and turning, managed to get itself upside whoopsies and bounded back into the brush from whence it came. After a few moments I was finally able to ask, "Did you see that?" To which son #2 casually replied, "What was that Mom? A duck?" A duck ?! A duck? A duck...that was enough to thrust me back into speechlessness...

1 comment:

JTKlopcic said...

WOW

What a great blog!!

I will be checking this one every day!

JTK