Saturday, December 12, 2009

Taking the Puppies to Church



While I was pregnant with Faith, I occasionally missed going to Divine Liturgy.  On those occasions, I would stay home with my feet up and we would leave JM, David and Nathan home with me.  On one such Sunday Tad had the following exchange with one of our parishioners:


Where is Mary?

She's home with the boys.

Oh, I miss the boys.

Really?  They're, um, not exactly all that well-behaved.

No, but I like all their activity. 

Really?  Hmm...

Yes, it's sort of like going to church with puppies.

I like this.  I like it a lot.  It has totally changed my perspective of the business my 6 and under crowd performs throughout Divine Liturgy.  I know they can't sit still for 2 hours but the shenanigans they go through during those two hours would give a circus acrobat a run for his money.  More often than not, they are rolling on the floor, wrestling with one another, picking their noses, unpacking someone's purse, rifling through the choir director's music, banging on the metal chairs or just banging their bodies together in various forms of Smash the Brother.  I try.  I really do.  I try to keep them quiet and contained and paying attention but sometimes I just need to accept that puppies will be puppies no matter where they are.  

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

I enjoyed these three most recent posts. Lovely. Very cool about the Scout troop and the dancers.

LucisMomma said...

Sounds familiar....when we sit down in worship, I almost always turn to the people behind us and say, "we're here to entertain you for the next hour."

Bryan was an entertainer, JT was calm, and Luci has us back in the entertainment business.