Thursday, April 03, 2008

Business

I'm afraid I haven't been posting as much lately because life just happens. My computer has been having one temper tantrum after another and I have become fearful of angering it lest it take my words and spew them into cyberspace never to be seen again. My camera has also had a mind of its own as of late and my own addled prego brain has forgotten to take it along to many an important event...including Ben's play. Grammy is rather up in arms about the lack of coverage here of Alice In Wonderland and I must admit to a woefully difficult period of Bad Mommyitis where I forgot my camera, did not manage to blog the Big Event and left family flung far and wide in the dark about the whole event. So sorry. It went well. Ben enjoyed it and did a whizbang job. JT ran the light board and loved it. There will be more theater in the lives of my children. I may even be alert enough to blog about it sometime in the near future.

The next item of business is a name for this baby. Yes, supposedly it is a girl - at least the sonographer seemed to think she saw more girl parts and a distinct lack of boy parts - so we have been calling the baby by the pronoun "she". There is a name in the works which is weird but my husband picked it out and, quite honestly, it is growing on me. Of course it must be either scriptural or fashioned after a saint to make the list of names in this household (how Nathan was allowed my dad's middle name of Lee is rather comical) so this one's name comes from the book of Mark (chapter 5, verse 41 to be exact):

41He took her by the hand and said to her, "Talitha koum!" (which means, "Little girl, I say to you, get up!" ).

This is referencing a girl who had died and, in the midst of her mourners, Jesus came to her bedside and raised her up calling her by the affectionate term for Little Girl - Talitha.

The one in utero will be Talitha Hope and has already been shortened to Tali by her parents and sibs. I'm sure at some point it will occur to people to call out to her (and this must be called out, it cannot simply be spoken) "Tally Ho!" but once again we've riled the grandmothers by suggesting such a thing so we'll make that a private affair.

And the last item of business is to introduce my new Orthodox homeschooling blogger friend, Deb. She gave me a wonderful little intro on her blog and I feel compelled to return the favor. I love Deb's blog - she's much less tongue in cheek about her faith than I and I'm sure I'll be learning a lot more from her as we go down the road into cyberspace together.

4 comments:

DebD said...

I love the name choice. Thanks for the shout out that was quite generous of you.

LucisMomma said...

Mair, I promise to work with the snow flakes this week!

I've read "Talitha Koum" and thought it would make a great girl's name.

Love Tali.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I hate to break the bubble here, but the little girl's name was Dorcas -- or in Hebrew, Tabitha. It's not Talitha. (What translation are you using?) If you travel to the UK you'll note "Dorcas Wards" in hospitals there, named for this same little biblical girl. This isn't to say you can't name your child what you like, but let's get the story right.

JTKlopcic said...

Yeah, I thought about naming her Tabitha (or Dorcas, though that's also an insult in the States) after the kind old woman of Acts 9: 36, but the Talitha verse from Mark 5: 41 really caught my imagination. Now, I know there is no St. Talitha (at least that I have come across yet), but someone has to be the first, right? Maybe she can make do with the St. Tabitha icon on Triumph Sunday.