Friday, September 26, 2008

Sometimes I Impress Even Me

I just watched the Presidential Debate with JT and Ben. For those not in the know, that would be a 10 year old and an 11 year old boy. The three of us have been talking about the campaign, reading issue statements from the campaign websites and trying to come to some of our own conclusions. Both of the boys just sat and watched almost the entire debate (unprompted - I turned it on, they sat down and watched), made appropriate comments, understood the issues being discussed, pointed out odd or evasive answers and even offered up their own political humor which was genuinely funny.

This comes at the front of our new schooling wave- unschooling. I recently decided to scrap JT's and Ben's formal curriculum and venture into uncharted waters. I must say so far the results have been marvelous - the boys are doing so well at learning in a less structured environment that even I am impressed. We must be doing something right!

1 comment:

LucisMomma said...

I love it! I was really surprised to hear my boys reasoning with their daddy over political issues.

I look forward to hearing how the unschooling goes. If we tried that here, only Luci would learn. The boys would NEVER pick up anything educational.