Thursday, June 19, 2008

Woohoo

We got word today that the father of the guy who hit Clifford is out of the hospital. Apparently he'd had a stroke and has just now been able to discuss the details of the accident. He admitted his son did have permission to drive the truck, which was all the insurance company needed to have fault and financial settlements are now in the making. Woohoo...

As part of that settlement, their medical insurance adjuster called me. The conversation went something like this:

Hi this is So and So from Negligent Party's Insurance Company and I understand you made a medical claim.

Yes, I was taken to the ER and the OB triage.

Are these your only medical expenses so far?

Yes. These are the only expenses I am expecting as a result of the accident.

Well, those expenses are covered by law by your insurance provider.

Yes, I know. Thank you.

Are there other expenses you would like to file with me?

I don't think so. I had some back pain, it was diagnosed as a pulled tendon, I sat on ice for three days and the pain was resolved. There were no complications with the baby.

long silence

Did I say something wrong?

shorter silence Well, no, but are you sure there are no claims you'd like to make?

I don't think so. I just described my medical condition. I don't foresee any further problems.

another silence. Ok it's just that, well, I don't hear that very often.

Hmm.. Well, should I think of a problem?

No. I guess not. I'm just surprised, that's all.

Well, if there's something I'm entitled to or something I'm supposed to let you know about, just let me know but I think I'm ok medically.

Ok. Well, if you're sure that's what you want....Here's my name and phone number. You have two years to change your mind...er... to report...should anything else related to the accident come up.

Ok, thank you very much.

No, thank you very much.

Perhaps I'm incredibly naive but this conversation seems to indicate that perhaps I could have gotten a nice settlement out of this for...something. I don't know what that something would be but I have a feeling it has an awful lot to do with the extraordinary cost of health care plans these days.

And while I'm on the topic, I don't know what is up with car accidents and homeschool conferences but my friend Christine (the same Christine with whom I was scheduled to go to the CHAP conference the day Clifford got a new butt) called to say that she went to a different conference and guess what happened? Yep, her car got rear-ended. Although for her it happened when the car was parked in the lot and no one was in it. So the moral of the story? Stay away from me if you want to attend a homeschool conference and should you ever get in a car accident be sure to have lots of injuries to report.

No comments: