Sunday, August 19, 2007

Classic John Michael

Muffy got John Michael a very funny gift for his birthday. She filled a bag with snack foods - Pringles, Cheddar Bunnies and a little Cheerios bowl and then gave him a card with $5 to spend at the "food store". We call JM "Food Man Jr." because he looves to talk about food. He could talk about food all day. He loves to help prepare it, he loves to look at it and he loves to shop for it. He's not so keen on eating it which is the only difference between him and the original "Food Man", Philip. But the whole birthday gift from Muff reminded me of a classic moment with our little Jr. Food Man.

Last summer JM was running around playing in the yard barefoot as I was headed to the van to go out. I told him, "Get your shoes on and get in the van John." He looked at me with that ornery almost 3 year old glare, took off running and yelled over his shoulder, "No! I don't want to get in the van and I don't want to put my shoes on!" "John, get in the van" I said with the exasperation rising in my voice, was answered with an even more distant negative insistance. "John Michael," I called to his retreating bohunkus, "I'm going to the food store. Don't you want to come?" He immediately stopped dead in his tracks, looked me squarely in the eye and inquired, "Did you say food store?" He then ran into the house, retrieved his shoes and hopped in the van.

No comments: