Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Today's Excitement

So today this little fella was running about on our driveway and in our garage.  I took this picture with my cellphone sans zoom - I really got this close and still the little scamperer didn't even flinch.  Ben found him and the little thing immediately latched onto him and began to follow him everywhere.  Ben went out to the driveway, Baby followed him, Ben went in the garage, Baby followed, Ben climbed up a tree, Baby scampered up about two feet and then got stuck there. Everyone who went outside today was privy to his shenanigans.  He just would not leave our family alone, as if to say "Look, you already have a gazillion, don't you want me too?!"  A bit worried about his behavior and not at all familiar with juvenile squirrel antics, I put in a call to Animal Control.  Mr. Animal Control guy arrived and identified our little friend as Orphaned Squirrel - round about age 4 weeks.  He suggested Mama Squirrel probably met up with a car somewhere and left little Jr abandoned to the wild world.  He captured Orphaned Squirrel, put him gently in a cage, had me sign a paper saying I was the owner of Orphaned Squirrel and I was willingly relinquishing him to the care of Mr. Animal Control and then set off in his van to deliver Orphaned Squirrel to a local rehabber who, he promised, would carefully care for Orphaned Squirrel for the next two weeks and then release our little friend into the wild.  So long little friend!  May you fare better than your poor mum!

3 comments:

LucisMomma said...

Glad he's ok...and in a month or two, he will be raiding someone's birdfeeder, so happy that Mair and her kids love all of God's creation.

momof4 said...

Ben just has this type of ora (?) that everyone loves, adults, children and now juvenile squirrels. That squirrel was not stupid to follow Ben around, he knew he was loved.

Lady Anne said...

Now, see, I probably would have brought him in, fed him peannut butter and cashews, and let him watch while I worked on the computer. None of our cats bother with mice or other wildlife - good news, bad news -so he would have been safe and happy. Wonder if you can train a squirrel to use a litter box? Hmm...

The Lord of the Manor says if I found a giraffe, I'd put a bow on its neck and stand it in the stairwell.