Sunday, November 20, 2005

A Dream and a Death

Friday was an interesting day.... JT woke up and told me he hated to wake up because he had been dreaming that our painter, Mr. Bill, was painting the last wall of the last room and we were just about to move back into our house. Nice dream but not quite reality. Truth is, things are moving along nicely. The trusses are up over the garage and the roof sheeting replaced. All this is now being protected by a tarp so the whole roof still looks exactly like it looked immediately after the fire...

When we arrived at the site on Thursday, there were 3 very large men looking very pleased with themselves and they asked me what I thought about what they'd been doing. I looked at that tarp and teased them about not actually doing anything since it looked just the same. Well, they kept grinning right at me and then said, "Yeah, but did you notice anything?..." At which point I finally shifted my focus to the back wall of the house where they had spent the morning man-handling all the brick-work off the part of the house where the addition will go. Wow! What a lot of work and they were so pleased with themselves! I don't think we could have a better crew of guys working on this thing. We are pleased with them, too. In addition to this, many of the windows have been removed upstairs and they continue to gut it out and prepare for the painter to treat the trusses so they no longer smell like smoke. It is coming along, folks...

That evening I took Betsy in the car with me (she'd been voted most likely to keep the driver awake) and drove to Pennsylvania for the memorial service of my college roommate's husband. I can't imagine what it must feel like to be a 36 year old widow and my heart goes out to Sheri in her pain. I was glad to be able to be there for her and she was genuinely surprised to see me there, knowing something of the goings on around here. Sheri, we do love you and please, please know that our doors are always open to you!

No comments: